Compiling BlogEngine.NET source with Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
The follow covers how to compile BlogEngine.NET from the most recently available source code.
This was originally posted to the Codeplex discussions for BlogEngine.NET, and will eventually get moved into the wiki. (Update Sept 8, 2007: Added to the BlogEngine.NET wiki, but not yet linked from other pages. Also made a minor change to step one.)
Compiling source with Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
2) Extract the contents of the zip file to a directory on your computer.
3) Browse to BlogEngine.sln and open it with a text editor (Notepad).
4) Change the second project (BlogEngine.NET) from
Save your changes.
5) Open the BlogEngine.sln file with Visual C# Express 2005.
6) If prompted regarding the source control provider, select either Yes or No at the prompt. When you're told to "Make sure the application for the project type () is installed." say OK.
7) From the top menu, select Build > Configuration Manager and change from Debug to Release.
8) From the top menu, select Build > Build Solution, or press F6.
9) Assuming the build succeeded, browse to DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\bin\Release
Copy the dll and XML file to the BlogEngine.NET\Bin\ directory.
10) Move the entire BlogEngine.NET directory to your host, in the correct folder.
11) Apply the correct Properties and Permissions, to the correct folders, per the regular install guide.
Support This Site
If my blog was helpful to you, then please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist.