Using SQLite as a membership, profile, and role provider in ASP.NET MVC
I'd really like to implement membership providers in my Web applications, but just don't have the user-base that requires SQL Server (Express), nor the memory on my production server.
Having looked at SQLite before, I figured it would be exactly what I'd need, without going to the alternative of XML.
After some research I found Roger Martin's SQLite Membership, Role, and Profile Providers, and finally decided yesterday to implement these on a dummy MVC site.
However, when attempting to add this to my MVC site I kept running into issues, the last of which was an "Unable to open the database file."
The first issue was with the type declared in the examples on the page above; TechInfoSystems.Data.SQLiteProvider should be removed completely, as he suggests just adding the three classes to your site.
The second and last issue was that pesky database issue. At first I didn't think the app_data directory was getting pushed over, so I verified that I was pushing that as part of the Publish process (how they recommend you push a MVC site to production).
Upon further review it looks like the App_Data directory was placed inside the Bin directory. Google didn't help me much on whether that was the expected behavior, but it consistently did that. I added a ton of permissions to NETWORK SERVICE on the bin\app_data directory, but still the same pesky error.
So I commented out the membership, profile, and role items completely from web.config and added the following code to the Index view.
<%= AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetData("DataDirectory").ToString() %>
Lo and behold, it was looking for it in the root of the site, exactly where I was expecting the App_Data directory to publish to.
Move the App_Data folder and sure enough, the site works (after uncommenting the Web.config provider information, of course) and I'm able to create a new user.
So, why does the publish process require me to move the App_Data directory?
In order to get the database pushing correctly I changed Copy to Output from Do not copy to Copy always. However, what really needed to happen was the Build Action needed to be changed to Content.
An App_Data directory is now created correctly, and the SQLite database is correctly placed in the directory.
If you want troubles, change the applicationName in the Web.config for all three items. If you do this, you'll run into errors like "Attempt to write a read-only database attempt to write a readonly database" with a line reference suggesting there's an issue with roleManager. Comment that out, or that and membership and profile, and things will seem okay.
The issue is that the applicationName (SQLite ASP.NET Provider) is baked into the sample SQLite database. Durr.
- Review: Empires of EVE: A History of the Great Wars of EVE Online
- Review: Ghost in the Shell README: 1995-2017
- Review: Fitbit Charge 2 Bands,Fitbit Bands Milanese Loop Stainless Steel Metal Replacement Bracelet Strap, Wristbands Accessories for Charge 2 with Stronger Magnetic Clasp
- Review: Wickedly Prime Organic Roasted Seaweed Snacks, Korean Kalbi
- Review: 5-Minute Dungeon
Support This Site
If my blog was helpful to you, then please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist.