Picture resolution requirements for prints
What follows is, for more my own information than for anyone else, is a listing of common print sizes, and the approximate resolution a photo must be in order to print well and acceptably.
The math involved is to take the size of the print and multiply each side by either 300 or 200. 300 (dpi) is the best quality, while 200 (dpi) is acceptable. Armed with these two answers, you can then have a nice range of which you should shoot for. Below are the numbers found from a handful of sites.
- Best: 1600x12001, 3
- Lower: 1280x9603
- Minimum: 540x3602; 1024 x 7684, 5
- Absolute minimum: 640x4804
- Best: 2048x15361, 3
- Medium: 1600x12003
- Minimum: 1152 x 8644, 5; 630x4502
- Best: 2560x19201, 3
- Medium: 2048x15363
- Lower: 1600x12003
- Minimum: 1600x12004; 1536x10245; 900x7202
- Best: 2560x19201
- Best: 3072x20481, 3
- Medium: 2560x19203
- Lower: 2048x15363, 5
- Minimum: 1260x9902
- Best: 3072x20481
- Medium: 3072x20483
- Lower: 2560x19203
- Minimum: 2048x15365; 1620x10802
- Minimum: 1800x14402
- Minimum: 2700x18002
Information has been culled from Dummies (listed as 1), Walgreens (2), Samy's Camera (3), and Shutterfly (4). The Photo Company used to have information online, but I'm not finding it any more ... (hence my decision to write on this).
Edit: Found The Camera Company information (listed as 5).
- Review: Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Gaming Mouse with POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Compatibility
- Review: Empires of EVE: A History of the Great Wars of EVE Online
- Review: Ghost in the Shell README: 1995-2017
- Review: Fitbit Charge 2 Bands,Fitbit Bands Milanese Loop Stainless Steel Metal Replacement Bracelet Strap, Wristbands Accessories for Charge 2 with Stronger Magnetic Clasp
- Review: Wickedly Prime Organic Roasted Seaweed Snacks, Korean Kalbi
Support This Site
If my blog was helpful to you, then please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist.